Tuesday, March 29, 2011

REPORT FOR MAPPING OF MALAKAL MARKET TECHNICAL ACTIVITIES:

COLLEGE OF TECHNICAL VOCATIONAL EDUCATION FOR TEACHERS
UPPER NILE UNIVERSITY/MALAKAL

THEME: REPORT FOR MAPPING TECHNICAL ACTIVITIES AT MALAKAL MARKET

This is a report narrating the activities carried out on 28/03/2011 for spotting the craft/trade activities within the main market area. This stage is address as preliminary mapping to observe and document the types of crafts located in that particular position.

OBJECTIVES:

1/ to observe and spot areas where building and carpentry work are seen
2/ to identify the types of local and industrial materials available in the materials yards around the market
3/ to find out the locations /spotted areas available at the market and later consider priorities

4/ to accomplish mapping study programs in the curriculum designed.

STAGE 1:
OBSERVATION, SPOTTING AND PRIORITIZITION OF MAPPING ACTIVITIES:

I started my foot walk from the MVTC -campus through the western street towards the market, passing by st.Joseph Cathedral and opposite the cathedral; I spotted the first site and named it (A) Building maintenance site where already roofing of the building has reached to the fixing trusses and purlins.

I went by the south Sudan hotel premises and to south Sudan relief and rehabilitation commission office and almost reaching to the market; I turned west direction and followed a street leading to the Nile petroleum fuel station and heading to the police headquarters and opposite side there is the Nimuly fuel station and ahead of the station was the commercial center buildings, the mosgues and at the north-western side is the Malakal teaching hospital. At the eastern side of the hospital main door; I spotted building extension work, masons were busy with bricklaying and has reached to a window level and I spotted it (B) extension of medical pharmacy block.

I went crossing to follow the street towards the east of the teaching hospital and north of the hospital; I spotted a storey building house under construction, but work had stopped; I could not understand why workers are not doing work. I spotted it to be (C) construction of a storey building and it has ended at the level of second upper floor.

I decided to come inside the central park, At western side of the main market mosque where I spotted a material yard and registered it (D) material yard for fine , coarse aggregates and red burnt clay bricks.

I entered the trading central mid-point and located a material shop and inside I saw cement bags and on a truck workers off-loading timbers and corrugated iron sheets, fine aggregates filled on the compound and spotted it to be (E) material shop.

I continued to go to the eastern side of the market and before reaching the street heading to the upper Nile University hostels; I spotted a new storey building under construction; and it has reached to third upper floor level; I spotted it to be (F) new story building with three floors.

I continued going towards the UNICEF office and before crossing the street; I spotted the building site which I remembered it to have been visited sometimes back and where I met the engineer -Lagu .I spotted it (G) new building construction at a basement level.

I crossed the street and went to locate a material yard inside the Friday option market and spotted it (H) material yard for fine, and coarse aggregates and red burnt clay bricks.

Lastly i decided to follow the road leading to the airport through the Kenya commercial bank premises and turned to the west and walk some distance to locate maintenance taking place in the office of the International committee of the Red cross and spotted it as (I) building maintenance in the office of ICRC.

It was almost half one (1:00 pm) where I decided to conclude my mapping and consider to come back to Malakal vocational training center(MVTC) to document what I have observed in this preliminary survey.

I have to prioritized this mapping as A-B-C-D-E-F-G-H-I strategies for stage one preliminary market mapping and decided continue with the stage two at the later date.This stage two shall be Observation and introductory mapping; where I shall meet the concern personnels working at their sites.

I personally give my thanks to our facilitator for assigning to us the task and also thanking my colleagues with whom we planned together for carrying this assignment.

Our group is comprised of the following members:

1. Samuel Imma Romano (right)
2. Joseph Amule Eliyuda (center)
3. Night Clara John (left)

No comments:

Post a Comment